In November OnePlus 3T launched and team TWRP recovery launched its TWRP for this mobile early. Now you guys want to root your mobile or install custom rom in your OnePlus 3T mobile then you came at right place. Here I am going to show you easy step by step guide to install official TWRP Recovery and Root OnePlus 3T device.
I have divided these Oneplus 3T unlocking bootloader, installing TWRP recovery and rooting separately. So you would understand it easily.
Important Notes: Rooting will not void your mobile warranty. You can read it’s on their customer supports page warranty link.
Benefits of Rooting OnePlus 3T
- You can install custom ROM and custom kernel on your device for faster and better performance.
- Block Ads in apps with the help of ad blocker.
- After you root Oneplus 3T and install TWRP on Oneplus 3T, you can install Xposed Framework to customize your device
- Increase performance and battery life by killing background process automatically.
- You can use Titanium Backup to restore all of your apps and data.
- You can uninstall Pre-installed Apps.
Warnings of Rooting OnePlus 3T
- Follow all steps correctly otherwise you will end up with a bricked phone.
- If your phone bricked by somehow we are not responsible for any damage to your phone. Process at your own risk.
Some Important Keys before starting to root.
- Ensure that your phone has at least 50-60% charged to prevent the accidental shutdown in-between the process.
- It will erase all your of mobile’s internal storage data, so we advise you first to take a complete backup of your phone and then proceed.
Files needed to Root and Install TWRP Recovery on Oneplus 3T
- Download ADB and fastboot driver for windows and install it on your PC. This will also install your device driver.
- Download TWRP Recovery Marshmallow (Android 6) for Oneplus 3T.
- Download TWRP Recovery Nougat (Android 7) for Oneplus 3T.
- Latest dm-verity and forced encryption disabler for OnePlus 3T
- Download SuperSu to root Oneplus 3T and copy it to your internal storage.
How to Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 3T
Step 1: Enable USB Debugging.
- First Enable USB debugging from Setting > Developer option > USB Debugging click to enable.
- If you are not be able to see Developer Options in setting you need to enable it first.
- to enable developer option go to Setting > About Phone > Tap to Build Number 7-8 Times.
Step 2: Run ADB command window.
- Now go to installation directory ( C Drive) open ADB folder.
- Open the command window there by pressing and hold the ‘shift’ key and right-clicked anywhere in that folder.
- Click to Open command window here.
Step 3: Connect your Phone & Reboot into Fasboot mode.
- Now connect your phone to PC with USB cable.
- Reboot your device into Fastboot mode by typing the following command.
- Check your phone’s screen, if it asks for “Allow USB debugging”, accept it by selecting OK/Yes.
adb reboot bootloader
Step 4: Check your device is connected in ADB Command.
- You are in Fastboot mode now to check your device is detected or not in ADB command tool by entering below command in command prompt.
- It will return your device serial number means your device properly connected. Check your driver if the above command is not responding.
Step 5: Unlock OnePlus 3T with OEM Unlock.
- Once your phone is detected, you are good to go to unlock the device.
- Type the following command to finally unlock bootloader on your OnePlus 3T.
fastboot oem unlock
It will unlock the bootloader on your OnePlus 3T and also completely wipe your phone while doing that. So make sure you have backup your data before.
Once bootloader is unlocked, your OnePlus 3T will automatically reboot. In case it asks for bootloader unlock permission on the device, accept it.
That’s it. Your OnePlus 3T is unlocked now. Now you can install TWRP recovery and root your mobile.
Lets start to installing TWRP recovery.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 3T
Important Notes: If you are not opened ADB tool or not enabled USB debugging then please follow the all 4 Steps that I have posted on top of Unlock Bootloader. After following all of 4 steps you can go ahead with the bellow steps.
Step 1: Flash TWRP recovery with Fastboot.
- Copy the TWRP recovery img file into ADB folder which is inside in C drive.
- Rename your TWRP recovery img into recovery.img for e.g if your file name is
- Type the below command correctly in command prompt and press enter.
- It will install TWRP recovery on OnePlus 3T.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Step 2: Boot into TWRP Recovery.
- Type the following command to boot into recovery mode of TWRP.
- If TWRP recovery opened then its done!
- You have successfully installed it.
fastboot boot recovery.img
Now we are done with installing of TWRP recovery. Its time to begin rooting process.
How to Root OnePlus 3T
Step 1: Open TWRP Recovery Mode.
- If you used the above command your phone will be already booted into the TWRP recovery mode.
- If you want to go to TWRP recovery mode directly then press VOLUME UP + POWER button.
Step 2: Install SuperSu.Zip
- If you are asked to select language. Then select the language and click to Never show this screen on boot again.
- Now without leaving TWRP, transfer the no-verity-opt-encrypt zip to your device over MTP and flash it.
- Now Go to “Wipe” section and tap “Format Data”, and type “yes” (If you want to mount internal storage).
- Tap to Install button.
- Now find the SuperSu.Zip file where you have copied it.
- Tap to the zip file.
- Swipe to confirm Flash.
- Its done!.
We are done with installing SuperSu file. Now your phone is rooted you can check if your device is rooted or not by going to Play Store. Download Root Checker and open it. It will show you green mark and say your phone is rooted.
It was the complete guide of how to install TWRP Recovery and Root OnePlus 3T. If you guys have any question, feel free to ask in the comment section below.